After talking about starting a Necromunda campaign with some buddies I've decided to start building a board to play on. I like the idea of the Zone Mortalis board, but I don't like the printed cardboard tiles that come with the starterset.
So it was time to get creative:
These are the first 4 I did so far, I'll probably do 2-3 plain ones so I have some space to put terrain pieces if I need to.
It's a bit hard to tell but the bottom of the insert is covered with melted hot glue, and pva so that it looks like goo/sludge.
This just gently slopes into a grate, the slope is gentle enough so that most minis can stand on it without falling/sliding down. It's mainly an excuse to keep an area of the board open.
These are just some vents/drains, I had some mesh laying around and figured It'd look good.
And a drain looking thing, I've also started adding tiles to this piece. But I stopped as I really should do a test piece to figure out how strong the final product is before I cut and glue a couple hundred tiles only to find out they'll get wreckes after a single game.
Thanks Tread, I even slapped a bit of paint and an oilwash on it:
But it turns out the mineral spirit I used for the wash disolved the glue I used to stick the parts of the drain together.. I'll try and stick and back together once everything is dry. Either using the glue I used earlier or a few drops of hotglue.
Some rusty stains and spilled sludge. I'm not sure about the sludge yet: it looks a bit out of place, but I like how it breaks up the grid patern a bit.
I've also tried adding some water effects whilst I fixed the drain:
There is a chance I screwed up a little by adding washes before everything was completely dry.. but I'm hoping some gloss varnish will fix that. I just need to let it dry properly before messing with it again.